Fun with MacOS (NOT) [was Re: Announceing subsurface 1.2]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at Hohndel.org
Sat Dec 10 06:29:53 PST 2011

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:

>At Fri Dec 9 11:11:06 PST 2011, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> The Mac installer, on the other hand, has all the files included but
>> somehow doesn't always install all of them - and I have no idea why.
>It
>> seems if you already have a library with the same name and a lower
>> version (WTF???) it doesn't overwrite this. So I'm playing with the
>idea
>> of moving copies of all libraries into /Applications/Subsurface
>> Which is funny, as that is manually recreating DLL hell from Windows
>on
>> a Unix type system that /could/ easily get this right.
>
>We shouldn't have an installer on Mac.  The "Mac way" is to have
>everything we need in Subsurface.app, and distribute that in a DMG
>archive.

That assumes that we don't try to bundle the libraries and ask people to download and install them by themselves. Which we aren't doing on Windows. Most Mac people won't have gtk and libusb installed. So just shipping the .app will give them a very disappointing experience.

Sent from my phone.
Please excuse the brevity and text prediction errors