Bug: Cylinder editor doesn't honor sorting

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Dec 11 17:35:59 PST 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Jacco van Koll <jko at haringstad.com> wrote:

> Whenever there is a configuration option in the program, like a set of
> checkboxes in the 'configuration' menu item, it should be possible to let
> the program behave like:
>
> 1. Regular divers
> 2. Experienced Nitrox divers
> 3. Tech divers
>
> This way, the complexity of this whole gas mixture / tank issue could be
> solved?

Quite frankly, even as a trimix diver, I'm pretty certain that when I
dive air, I would not want to see it as "21/0". That simply implies a
level of technical diving that simply didn't exist on that dive.

Remember: highly technical divers do "fun dives" too.

There's simply a *difference* between diving a regular tank of air and
diving some Helium blend. Sure, technically "air" is just a special
case of a trimix, but in practice that simply isn't true. If the dive
list says "air", that actually tells you something that "21/0" would
just make harder to see.

So I think it's worth making the very clear distinction even visually.
Quite frankly, the only question in my mind is whether we should leave
it entirely empty (which is what we do for some other things like
OTU's etc) when we dive plain air.

Now, one thing that we might want to make more clear is the "multiple
cylinder" issue. For example, from where I stand now, I do think that
we might want to be able to show "two cylinder Nitrox" better than we
do. Right now we show it as one number (the highest O2 percentage),
and it's possible that we could extend the thing in a perl-like
syntax, ie

 - "air"
 - "32" - EAN32
 - "32+50": one cylinder EAN32, one EAN50
 - "50/70": at least one trimix cylinder (and I think we can assume >1
cylinder then being the common case), where highest O2 50%, highest He
70%

and anything more complicated than that would just not fit well in the
dive list.

Because right now we simplify that third case to just "50", which is
kind of sad, and looks a bit excessive simplification-wise.

                      Linus