Moving notebook entries around - within the same window

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Nov 1 20:50:48 EDT 2011

Ok, sorry for the big html email, but I wanted to show a screenshot for
this discussion in addition to the (totally broken) patch that is for
discussion only, not for really applying (but it's "working" in the sense
that you can actually re-create the GUI in the screen shot with it - even
if it's not actually stable).

So I really like the notebook pages, because they work on a small screen
very well. At the same time, ripping off the notebook page so that it's a
separate window solves the "big screen" issue pretty well, but I do find
myself looking for a *single* window solution too.

The trivial attached patch kind of does that - although in many ways in a
really bad way. It would probably be better to use a hpaned/vpaned
combination instead of a table, so that people can resize the different
parts. Whatever - the patch is more seriously broken in other ways.

But the patch is useful as a way to get to a mock-up of the interface I'd
like to see, here also as a screenshot:

[image: Screenshot.png]

IOW, it actually allows us to rip off the notbook pages not as separate
windows, but to become separate *parts* of the same window. I think I like
this better than the separate window approach.

Whaddayathink?

Basically, the way the above was done was by just ripping out the dive
profile tab, and moving it to the (very thin) area on the left of the
original notebook, where an empty notebook is hiding. Then you rip off the
dive list tab, and drag it to just below. Ta-daa!

The patch currently results in gtk complaints like:

  (subsurface:13938): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_selection_data_set:
assertion `length <= 0' failed

because my hacky patch doesn't do the proper drag-and-drop setup (see
commit f4d50ffa3b42 where Dirk fixed my original separate window version
that had the same issue), but I don't care. I'm wondering if somebody knows
a better way to do this, and whether we should perhaps kill the "create
separate windows" version entirely (or maybe people end up preferring that
as an option - there's nothing that says you can't do both, and that is
indeed what the attached patch does).

Comments? Suggestions for better approaches?

                                Linus