Moving notebook entries around - within the same window

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Nov 2 00:41:37 EDT 2011

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 20:37:18 -0700, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > This gets us back to a layout that we started with a couple of months
> > ago - and which we KNOW doesn't work on small screens.
>
> Umm.
>
> I don't think you actually looked at the patch or at the behavior.
>
> The default is still to have everything in one notebook.
>
> The difference is that you can now drag it *within* the window too if
> you want to expand it.
>
> So it doesn't change the small screen case AT ALL. It only changes the
> big-screen one.
>
> Go and look at the patch, and try it out. Then get back to this,

Read what I wrote, Linus. The whole part that you deleted to pick the
one sentence that you don't like.

Yes, I looked at the patch. My comment was about your suggestion that
'we should perhaps kill the "create separate windows" version entirely'.

THAT is what I object to.

And I find the way that you implement the transition from the current
notebook to this one window with three areas design (for a lack of a
better term) rather odd.

As I mentioned I'd rather do this with a config option than with magic
tiny drop zones.