[issue] blank dive->location values update from a newly set location value

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Nov 2 22:08:13 PDT 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> I poked around as well. It seems to have a quite stubborn memory of the
> last item that was active. Even manually setting the active item to NULL
> doesn't sway it.

Yeah, I found the same thing.

And it's only the empty string that is special. Crazy. I can literally
make things work by using a single space instead (and then removing
the space on read).

And even the empty string is only special when that thing is
*selected*, as far as I can tell. So there's some magic combination
about empty strings and being the currently active text entry, which
caches the value even across setting it.

I'll commit that nasty space-setting hack for now, maybe somebody can
figure out what the magic gtk incantation is for those
gtk_combo_box_entry things.

> We need to get these location/buddy/divemaster_changed variables to work
> again, I guess... right now they are bogus as they are only initialized
> to 1 and never cleared (or set). But I couldn't figure out where to that
> when I poked around...

No, we should just get rid of those variables entirely. They aren't
useful anyway. The one that matters is the local variable "changed",
and that's maintained correctly.

                Linus