Project Goals

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Mon Oct 10 19:42:25 EDT 2011

(manually cc'ed to list)
----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:30:28 -0400 (EDT), John Van Ostrand
> We definitely are going for a much more complete feature set than we
> initially thought. So propose away what you would like to see and we
> can
> discuss here if you have things that we consider completely out of
> scope.

I'm working on a github version so I may be a little out of date already.

Editing the dives is the most elemental missing feature for me. I want to edit dives for lots of reasons. I have some dives where the date was wrong because of a battery change and an absent mind, so being able to edit the dives in the GUI would help. I also have some dives where I didn't use the computer, and there are some dives that were logged as separate dives, but I want to merge them as one and a couple of others that could be split. Being able to see dives in download order may help to identify the poorly dated dives. Re-ordering dives may be needed after fixing the date depending on how subsurface internally numbering.

Of course there is the additional info for dives as well, like equipment, environmental conditions, etc.

Second I would make the dive list a separate vbox and provide a tabbed display on the right for dive profile, equipment, etc. Selecting a different dive would update the right vbox while keeping the same tab selected, so scrolling through dives one could compare more easily.

The dive list would have different display options. Some options will help those with hundreds or thousands of dives and could categorized by year/month, with "folders" for years and months. Another display might have it listed by dive number (with numbers listed.) I don't know how to deal with the huge dive list in that way since scrolling down 400 dives to see my latest might be annoying. I think it may make sense to have other categories as well, like dive buddy or perhaps location. Filtering may be a better option for buddy and location than categorization. I haven't thought much about how filtering would fit into the GUI.

I see many of the fields as remember-able fields, like buddy or location. When entered once it it stored in a buddy and location list that can be flushed out with more information like mobile number, email, GPS coords, etc.

Having a time index on the graphs would be handy.

Stats would be handy. The obvious things are deepest, coldest, longest dive and accumulated dive time. Then showing distributions of dives, like how many were between 0-20, 21-40, 41-60; or how many were under 31F, between 31 and 40, 41 and 50, 51 and 60; and how long was the dive 0-10, 11-20, SAC rate could be another distribution and so on. The bell curves could be interesting.

Reports on how many dives per equipment piece may come in handy for servicing gear. It turned out my dry suit seals failed on cue.

Mouse-overs on stats, graphs and profile might be able to update a tool-tip or status bar with the detail for that point in the chart, curve, or profile.

Since stats are used, it might be handy to include a starter balance for those who don't have the older dives electronic. A balance forward config with deepest, coldest, longest, number of dives not logged might be nice for some (like me) to at least keep track.

> I definitely have adding more complete equipment tracking on my todo
> list - I have just been distracted with creating the project website
> and a few related infrastructure issues.
>
> Can you describe what exactly you would like to see in tracking
> "buoyancy, weighting and SAC rates"?

I change between wet suit, dry suit, dry suit undergarments, back plate and tanks enough that I have to calculate buoyancy at times and I sometimes guess wrong. So I track that equipment per dive on paper now. My log sheet looks like this http://vanostrand.com/sites/www.vanostrand.com/files/divelog-front.svg. The important part to me is weight where I list what I used in lead, how heavy the backplate I used, how much ankle weight, and a couple spots for "other". I have a friend who is extremely sensitive to trim and cares about where on his body the weight is put. So for him it could be trim weight, belt weight, tank strap weight.

I'm thinking that maybe a set number of fields, like about 4, to describe the weight used and have remember-able fields for where the weight was. That way I could put in "Backplate" while a friend may put in "Tank Strap" and next time it will default to those giving all the other options you may have used in the past too.

I'm fine with tracking equipment based on total config rather than tracking the buoyancy characteristics of each piece of equipment. Tanks are the one piece that I tend to manage in my own head.

Having "optional equipment" would be good. Adding a list of various equipment like camera, flash, pony bottle, etc change my buoyancy characteristics. I see it like a check box option listing the various pieces I have configured.

For SAC rates, the distribution above may be enough, however SAC rate often depends on the water temp, thermal protection and activity. Hauling around a camera and taking photos worsens sac rate. I can wait to figure out later how best to deal with that. Diving with students decimates SAC rate.

I don't have an air-integrated computer and I don't always remember my start and end PSI, so it would be nice for any charts or distributions to take that into account and treat them specially. I suppose that calculation would result in 0 so discarding values <=0 should fix those and other errors.

I'm happy to work on many of these options, but I want to make sure I'm going in a good direction. I'm much more comfortable working on forms than charts right now. I'm going to have to learn GTK again so easy features are my first step. I really like the choice of C and GTK.

--
John Van Ostrand
CTO, co-CEO

Linux Solutions / IBM Hardware