Subsurface build instructions on MacOSX

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Wed Oct 12 11:14:47 EDT 2011

Den 12.10.11 16:45, skrev Dirk Hohndel:
> Awesome. A testament to writing portable software, I guess :-)

Indeed! Great work!

> I have started to work on more "normal" installation as a desktop
> application for subsurface under Linux. Right now subsurface just finds
> its icon in the current directory; I have expanded this on Linux to look
> at the standards compliant system locations, first (and to install our
> icon and a .desktop file at these locations through make install).
>
> Where would an icon have to be installed on MacOS? And is there the
> equivalent of a .desktop file for apps installed through macport?

I'm no expert on this, but a standard mac application is installed as an
app folder [1] under /Applications.  The minimum content is something
like this:

Subsurface.app/Contents/Info.plist
Subsurface.app/Contents/MacOS/subsurface
Subsurface.app/Contents/PkgInfo
Subsurface.app/Contents/Resources/Subsurface.icns

- Info.plist is an XML file describing the app, such as the name, unique
identifier, icon filename etc. [2]
- subsurface is the application binary
- PkgInfo is an 8-byte app identifier [3]
- Subsurface.icns is the icon, in an Apple specific format [4]

That's all you need as far as I know.  Additional resources
(translations, more icons, ...) can be added to the Resources folder.

I don't think a .desktop file is necessary.

Cheers,
Henrik

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_directory
[2]