From JDiveLog to Subsurface

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 03:02:24 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Linus Torvalds <
torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2011 11:29 AM, "Miika Turkia" <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In the past I have used JDiveLog to log my dives. Now that there is a
> lot faster option to use in Linux I had to translate the data from JDiveLog
> to Subsurface format. This resulted in learning XSLT to do the job. I have
> attached the transform file if someone else needs to do the same conversion.
>
> If you have sample files from jdivelog that you would be willing to make
> public (or send to me in private) I could also see how hard it would be to
> just read them natively too...

Here is a  sample log from jdivelog. xmllint --format is a must to get
anything out of it but I think it is better to provide it in pristine
format (originally it is not compressed).

Also, since I could never get jdivelog to work for me, if you have any
> comments about missing features in subsurface, just holler.

Some calculated information, like accumulated dive time and averages from
selected dives (depth, SAC, temp) would be nice. Some information that I
would like to have input fields for are: used equipment and weight
information.

Other than that it is mostly that jdivelog has more input fields on log
information (e.g. visibility, dive site is divided to country, city,
place). It's got also diagrams of dive statistics
(dives/year,divetime/year,country,...) and dive planning feature, exporting
dives to HTML along with photo information (I use other software for the
sorting and tagging of photos so haven't tested it on jdivelog).

> > Note that if you have dives without profile information, subsurface will
> crash when you try to view the dive profile. Attached patch will take care
> of that (subsurface.diff).
>
> heh. Since the only way to add dives to subsurface right now is from a
> dive computer, I'm not surprised. There are some preliminary patches to add
> dives manually, and obviously editing the xml by hand is possible, but I've
> just never tested it..

 For some reason I like your fix for this one better than mine ;)

miika