From JDiveLog to Subsurface

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Oct 30 14:02:24 EDT 2011

On Oct 30, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> and here is even that log...
>
> Oh wow.
>
> I think we have a new winner in the distinguished competition for
> "most disgusting dive log XML file ever".

Yeah, that's pretty awesome. But I think uemis will continue to lead with
their six clear text XML entries and then one single line that holds everything
else in a base64 encoded data blog. With all the other amazing features
(implicit units, weird choices of precision, etc) embedded inside a tightly
packed binary that has 64bit values at random single byte aligned
addresses...

>  JDiveLog: for when 'seconds' is just too crude - use fractions of picoseconds!

Ok, that's one where JDiveLog clearly takes the lead over uemis.

> This would be easy to parse (it doesn't really do anything I haven't
> seen before, it just has a new ugly bonus features), but I think I'd
> like to see a few more cases of this horrible format. Your dive
> computer (one of the simpler Suunto's - apparently the Stinger)
> doesn't seem to sample temperature or cylinder pressure, so I don't
> know how JDiveLog ends up expressing even that.

Well it turns out that JDiveLog (tagline "...the open source logbook for
scuba divers" - I think they may have to reword that one) is indeed
open source and available for anyone to play with - which means we
can easily create sample log for anything we want.
That is, those of us with supported dive computers.