cuft_to_l

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Aug 2 10:22:13 PDT 2012

Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> writes:

> Well, Uemis went out of business already once, so I wonder whether
> anyone will ever fix this in their firmware.

The carcass of the company was finally (at the third attempt) bought out
of bankrupcy.

> I wonder whether they still allow downloading of dive data only via their online
> service, which is really a complete no-go when you are away on a boat for
> weeks or months in regions where you might not have network access at
> all.

It was down for several months but has been back up since early June.
But of course we have been able to download manually to the laptop and
then import that download since the very early days of subsurface -
after all the uemis has been my main dive computer for over a year and
for all of the time of subsurface's existence :-)

So I haven't used their online download service anymore once local
importing into subsurface worked for me...

> (And their DCs, while pretty colorful, were oversized, and consuming
> way too much power for their small battery.)

I beg to differ. Yes, it's kinda big, but the display is amazing and so
easy to read under water, that Linus often can read my display from 6ft
away :-)
It also works as backup light during a night dive (no kidding - I had to
shield the display on a night dive Tuesday night in order to really
enjoy the bio luminescence around us).

And as for battery life - the solar recharging plus brief daily
connections to the USB port of my computer in order to download dives
have kept my uemis at least 50% charged on all of my dive trips. So this
has never been an issue.