First time subsurace usage surprises

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Fri Aug 10 04:26:33 PDT 2012

On 2012-08-02 12:04, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> On 08/02/2012 12:46 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> Sad. Because HW is so close in many other respects, and I love the
>> open-source side of it.
>
> Apart from no wireless measurement, for me it is also too bulky.
> It's an important feature of a DC to me that I can wear it like
> a watch - and look at it without having to take the hand it is
> attached
> to from the camera.

Sure it's larger then a watch, but that's exactly why I don't prefer a
watch style dive computer. I see no reason to wear an expensive dive
computer all day at the surface, when a simple watch (without dive
computer) will do. And below the surface I have no need for a watch.
There I want a dive computer with a larger and easily readable screen.

I really don't understand why you say you can't look at the ostc while
holding your camera. The ostc's OLED display is perfect for this kind of
task. I doubt you'll find a dive computer that is easier to read (same
applies to the other OLED based devices of course). No need to take your
hands of the camera, activate a backlight or anything. The display is
readable in all conditions, at all times.

Jef