Comments on latest changes

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Aug 18 09:45:00 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Generally I really like the new improvements. Seems to be working quite
> well. However, I'd like to see some improvements as listed below:
>
> - Possibility to edit dive trip info - e.g. give a dive trip a more
>   sensible name than the first dive's location
> - Merging dives into a trip (and maybe even splitting a dive trip into
>   pieces) - a few non-diving days in a trip might still warrant for a
>   single dive trip instead of two

I think the mistake we did was to call them "Trips".

They really aren't. They are "Dive groupings" (think along the lines
of "very approximate possible nitrogen loading groups"), but they are
dive groupings where the header makes it hopefully very easy to then
associate them with dive trips and dates.

I don't think we should necessarily move subsurface to explicitly
track trip information, although if somebody really wants to and
writes the code, I guess I'm not going to complain violently. It's
just not something I'd personally work on or worry about, and I really
think that it might be better to just instead make it explicit that
it's not so much about "Trips" (after all, the dives could all be
local in your back yard pond) as it is about a simple date-based
grouping/clustering to make it easier to see what's been going on.

> - Double clicking on dive trip header should expand/collapse the trip
> - Expand/collapse all dive trips - maybe using the # column for viewing
>   all dives (as done with sorting by any other criteria) and date field
>   for dive trip based grouping and sorting?
> - Count of dives in a trip could be displayed on the first column
> - Some indication on which divetrip I just collapsed, e.g. light color
>   to mark the collapsed stack (unless all dives were selected and the
>   trip remains selected after collapse)

Ok, agreed about all of those. Dirk is probably really fed up with gtk
right now, and I'm not really sure I want to delve back in (I have
happily repressed all the horrible callback crap). But I'll try to
look into it.

But if there is some gtk-knowledgeable person on the list who wants to
have a small exercise in UI stuff, please holler.

> - When a dive is selected and I click on add dive manually - how about
>   presetting the calendar to that date?

Well, that would be easy enough. I'm not sure it's all that useful,
though. Do you really want the time of the previous dive? But anyway,
it would look something like the attached patch. Test it out. What do
other people think?

                      Linus