Dive Table printing

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Mon Aug 20 11:38:59 PDT 2012

On 08/20/2012 07:53 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> May I suggest that we allow "formats" that describe the output?

What do you mean when you say "formats" - sprintf-style "%"-sequences,
XSLT, CSS...?

> This way people could design the print output that they want.

I guess that every formatting method that requires one to
wield a keyboard for design would keep 99% of potential users
from acutally doing so. (Not that I would complain, I'm just
trying to help subsurface to achieve market leadership :-)

> It seems that there
> are strong regional preferences (page size, amount of information
> displayed, number of dives per page).

Yes.

> Other dive log software appears to
> simply allow the users to define the layout in some form and then parse
> that when printing.

I have to admit my experience so far is limited to SDM, never used
others before. And SDM offers practically no options besides "index"
vs. "one dive per page".

> Hey, we could output in HTML and allow CSS files to render the output...

The amount of people capable of writing CSS is not that high, either.
But HTML may still be a viable alternative, as many browsers do at
least implement some options for printing. Would be difficult to enable
or disable "columns" in the table, though.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg