request for comments

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Wed Aug 22 03:43:58 PDT 2012

On 08/22/2012 07:38 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> What I really would like feedback on is
>
> - the on disk format

> e.g., for a trip with four dives in Hoodsport:
>
> <dive number='4' tripid='-21' date='2010-12-04' time='10:38:00' tripentry='TRUE'>
>    <location>Sund Rock, Hoodsport, WA, USA</location>
> </dive>

 From a data model design perspective, it's a sin to abuse a <dive>
entry to represent something completely different (a trip), to be
distinguished just by some parameter.

It may be pragmatic to do so for the moment, but once you add
more types of entries to the file, you may end up with messed stuff like

<dive number=... tripentry='FALSE' fooentry='FALSE' barentry='TRUE'>

I'd opt for a separate <trip ...> entry.

> - the in memory data structure

... is much less exposed to the user, and changing it would not break
applications trying to make use of the .xml files, so IMHO it's not
as sensitive. I've got no particular opinion on it for now.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg