another RFC for trip handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Aug 26 22:16:08 PDT 2012

Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> writes:

> So just a
>
>   <trip date='2012-08-23' location='San Diego, CA, USA' \>

I like this format and am implementing it. But I HATE it when a simple,
trivial change points out a major bug that will require quite a bit of
work to really get it right.

We do not quote the text that we store in attributes. Which causes all
kinds of nasty issues. How did I find out? A couple of my trips have
possessive forms in their location (like "Gordon's Reef"). This works
perfectly fine between regular tags (<location>Gordon's Reef</location>)
but of course falls flat on its face as an attribute:
<trip date='2012-08-23' location='Gordon's Reef' />
is utter crap. We shouldn't write out stuff like this.

Which of course means that I am now looking into retooling the parse-xml
and save-xml files to fix all the places that read and write attributes.

YUCK.