another RFC for trip handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Aug 26 23:15:37 PDT 2012

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> writes:

> Den 27.08.12 01:21, skrev Linus Torvalds:
>> Btw, what's the point of the trip number? That seems like a totally
>> meaningless number. I get the feeling that it is left-overs from when
>> you indexed things by integers..
>>
>> So just a
>>
>>    <trip date='2012-08-23' location='San Diego, CA, USA' \>
>>
>> sounds like the right data format (code we can easily change later,
>> data formats should be something we strive to get right from the
>> start. Sure, we can fix them up later too, but it's just better to do
>> it early rather than late)
>
> Hmm.  I haven't looked at the code yet, but I think trip numbers are
> necessary.  That way we could have <dive trip="12" ../>, and actually
> decide which dives belong to which trip.

No, we now do trips entirely time based.

Trips are sequences of dives that are each no more than three days
apart. This works well from what I can tell for people who go on trips
to go diving. And is complete crap for people who regularly dive
locally. Which is why this is now off by default.

>  (I still don't like automatic
> dive groups/trips, and this would solve that.)  But I guess I've
> overlooked something.  Again.

If you don't like them, keep them turned off and that will solve this
much better :-)