Request-pull print with no dive profile

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Wed Aug 29 02:27:15 PDT 2012

On 08/29/2012 08:08 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> The table printout has very tiny fonts on MacOSX, by the way: http://db.tt/fcnYFk3V

While the font size issue can certainly be fixed coarsely by using
some other kind of unit, I have never managed to get really good
looking printouts of any document containing lots of smaller texts
unless the print function could actually rely on the same font, using the
same metrics and the same kerning and hinting, being available on
all platforms.

Many years ago, one could more or less rely on a standard set of postscript
fonts being available for rendering in the printer, but today that is not
quite the case anymore, Windows comes with its own fonts rendered on the host,
Linux distributions come with all sorts of fonts (some of which lack proper
metrics/kerning like Luxi/Nimbus/Liberation), and some postscript printers are
shipped with sub-par substitution fonts.

On the bright side, Adobe recently published a professional
font for free and as open source - see
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sourcesans.adobe/files/
for the font files and
https://github.com/adobe/Source-Sans-Pro
for the font sources and
http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2012/08/source-sans-pro.html
for the story behind it.

I started to use this font on many different systems, and that really
made my life easier getting accurate prints(*).

So just as a suggestion: You could calibrate the print out sizing
to use a free font like Source Sans Pro to enable anyone on any platform
to obtain exactly the same output.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg

(*) Since I may have been sounding like an Adobe sales guy, here: I usually do not
     like Adobe products at all - Flash is the biggest crime in programming history,
     their PDF reader is a security nightmare and they turned FrameMaker into
     a shadow of what it once was after aquiring FrameTechnology.