Feature suggestion

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Dec 3 11:22:27 PST 2012

Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Amit Chaudhuri
> <amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was wondering if it would be possible/desireable to include dive computer
>> model information in the XML output.  Might make it easier for the community
>> to work out which computers provide the best set of information for their
>> usage.
>
> Current git (not the 2.1 release) already does that. You'll see lines like
>
>   <divecomputer model='Suunto Vyper Air' deviceid='d4629110' diveid='47b60ff3'>
>
> in your xml file after you start importing with the git version of subsurface.
>
> And if you actually dive with more than one dive computer on the same
> dive, current git is almost a requirement. That said, I want to
> improve the multi-dive-computer situation a bit more still.
>
> I don't think there are precompiled binaries for this, though.

No they are not. I am planning to make some preview binaries once I
find the time to finish my deco changes as I want broader testing of
those (and too few people here on the mailing list appear to actually do
deco diving).

Right now our default behavior of not saving attributes that are '0' is
causing me some pain. And I had to throw away my second attempt to
redesign this. The third one looks promising and actually even more
elegant on some level :-)

It will have three new members of the sample data structure (which are
stored in the XML as additional attributes):

duration_t ndl;
duration_t stoptime;
depth_t stopdepth;

I used to have ndl and stoptime in the same member / same attribute but
that only works if you have a semantic way to distinguish them - like
"if stopdepth is zero, then the time is NDL, otherwise it's deco stop
time". But since we don't store values that are zero we never notice
when you are coming out of deco...