Feature suggestion

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Dec 3 15:24:07 PST 2012

On Dec 3, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Robert C. Helling wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2012, at 8:22 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> Dirk (and others of course),

Well, you only responded to me, but based on that sentence I copied the mailing list back in :-)

>> No they are not. I am planning to make some preview binaries once I
>> find the time to finish my deco changes as I want broader testing of
>> those (and too few people here on the mailing list appear to actually do
>> deco diving).
>
> I only learned about subsurface a week ago and it looks like a great project. And I definitely do deco diving… In case, anybody is interested, I uploaded a dump from my Vytec to http://euve10195.vserver.de/~robert/Robert.Helling.xml

Cool

> I am very much interested in deco features. What exactly do you plan to implement?

What is in the git repository already is plotting of a ceiling with dive computers that support this. One of the challenges is to improve libdivecomputer support so that we can get this data from more computers (so far the Uemis SDA through Subsurface native downloading and the HW OSTC is supported in libdivecomputer trunk - both computers that I have access to).
As I mentioned - I dislike the implementation that we have today on the Subsurface side to track deco data and am in the process of redoing that.

> Several years ago, I wrote my own little dive computer software, LogVyper (evolving from previous Aladin software I wrote), you can find some remains on http://euve10195.vserver.de/~robert/logvyper-1.2.tgz and some outdated info on http://euve10195.vserver.de/~robert/LogVyper/logvyper-1.2/
>
> That piece of software is basically a perl CGI script (using the browser as a cheap GUI) to download dive date from the computer and from this produce TeX files to be printed for the paper log book, for an example, see http://euve10195.vserver.de/~robert/sample_log.pdf
>
> The difference between version 1.2 (the tar-ball) and 1.0 (the info and screen shots) is that I included some decompression calculations (based on Buehlmann-type models possibly with gradient factors). For each theoretical body compartment I integrate the tissue gas load and compute a ceiling (and then of course you can take the min of all ceilings). At least at the time  when I wrote this, not presenting the tissue data as partial pressures (which do not mean a lot to humans) but as ceilings was a new feature for a deco software.

Well, we don't compute the nil / ceiling information ourselves, we take it from the dive computer.

I would absolutely LOVE to add deco calculation to subsurface so we can add these data for dive computers that don't allow us to download it - and ideally to compare and contrast different models (or a model and what the dive computer calculated, if that's available).

> I think plotting the ceiling would also be an interesting feature for subsurface and I have already thought of trying to add it myself. Unfortunately, recently (family obligations) I have not even managed to do a significant amount of diving (as you can see from my dive computer's dump). So, as I would have to find time to do this, but if there is interest, I would offer to put this on my todo list. Of course, all faster coder are more than welcome to use from my old code whatever can be of use.

Give me a few days to get the infrastructure to a point where I'm happy with it and then we could discuss the best way to add this.

I think this would be a great feature to have! And a flexible implementation of the Buehlmann algorithm in Subsurface would also be a great first step towards the dive planning feature that has been on my todo list for a while.