deco code rewrite

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Dec 5 08:03:05 PST 2012

Jef Driesen <jefdriesen at telenet.be> writes:

> On 05-12-12 16:25, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

>>> You can add the Shearwater Predator to that list. I just pushed the predator
>>> backend, and it has support for deco/ndl events too.
>>
>> Excellent news. Thanks, Jef.
>>
>> I wonder how many of the existing backends could add support for this
>> as most every dive compute obviously tracks ndl / deco...
>
> Of course they all calculate it, but that doesn't mean they record it too. From
> memory, I don't think there are many that record it. I'm pretty sure the
> Suuntos, Uwatecs and Mares don't (except maybe the iconhd).

That's why I said '... backends COULD add support...'

Most every dive computer sold in the last half dozen years obviously
calculates these numbers. So the question becomes "which ones provide it
in the download" and of those "which document it / are easy enough to
reverse engineer for us to figure it out".

> I think some of the Oceanics also store deco/ndl data. But those will require
> some extra reverse engineering work. The format of every oceanic model is
> slightly different :-(

Brilliant design...

The more I engage with software interacting with dive computers, the
more I wonder about the wisdom of trusting my health to them :-/