Subsurface companion app and webservice

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Dec 5 11:20:43 PST 2012

Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr> writes:

> On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 10:32 -0800, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> BTW: what we really need is a way to DO something with the GPS data.
>>
>> I envision the ability to turn the location into a hyperlink if we
>> have GPS data and have a click on that open a browser window with a
>> map or something...
>

> It would be easy to have this on subsurface-webservice, something like:
> http://<base url>/gps/lat/long
> which would return a map with the position of the dive.
>
> But wouldn't it be even nicer to have this directly on subsurface?
> Using webkit-gtk or so we should be able to render the html/js needed to
> display the map directly within the application.
> I do realize that this is more work and if I can help with
> subsurface-webservice my C knowledge is too limited to do the webkit
> implementation in the subsurface itself.

This reminds me. Pierre, Aurélien and I have worked on an interesting
little side project.

An Android app (called Subsurface Companion) and a webservice that it
connects to that allow you to mark and name a location on your Android
phone and upload this information to a server.

The goal is to then be able to retrieve that gps location from the
Subsurface application and automatically add the location name and GPS
data to your dive log (based on time matching).

With all the other work going on after 2.1 was released I got
side-tracked and never followed up on this to the whole mailing
list... but I'm sure that others might like this (and maybe will be able
to help implement the missing pieces)

The two projects are available at

git://git.hohndel.org:subsurface-companion
git://git.hohndel.org:subsurface-webservice