deco code rewrite

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Sat Dec 8 13:09:20 PST 2012

On 07-12-12 19:44, Jan Schubert wrote:
>>> Of course it's important to know the battery status. However I see this
>>> as something that's important while operating the device, and not
>>> something that goes into your logbook. I mean it's very important that
>>> the device shows you the battery status, so you can decide whether to
>>> charge it or not. But what's the added value of having this info for
>>> each dive? My point is that I consider the battery status more a
>>> property of the device.
>>>
>>> Showing some kind of low battery warning during (or after) the download
>>> is something different then what Jan meant with adding support for
>>> battery voltages. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong), that Jan
>>> referred to supporting the battery status in the header or even the full
>>> battery profile in the samples (the predator has this).
>> I think what would be nice is to have a way for libdivecomputer to
>> report to the application "at the end of the dive the dive computer
>> reported that its batteries / the tank sensor batteries are low and need
>> to be charged or replaced". So this wouldn't be sample information (good
>> for Shearwater to support that) but simply dive level header
>> information.
>
> Didn't get Jef's mail so answering to this one.
>
> In general: For CCR divers it is quite important to rely on good
> batteries as someones life may rely on this!
>
> Jef is right, the Shearwater logs the battery voltage during a dive and
> the newest Shearwater Desktop software also shows a new nice graph for
> this (see attachment, sry for the high res) where before it just showed
> the voltage at the begin and the end of a dive (see header in attachment).
>
>  From my point of view I also like to see any information which is
> reportet by the dive computer. Seeing Battery Voltage afterwards is not
> that important but as you can see in this example it fluctuated quite
> much in this dive where it has been very stable before all the others
> dives. In fact this battergot replaced right after as I also got a
> warning in my computer itself.
>
> In the Shearwater itself I can check current voltages (any time, also
> while diving), no way to see how it behaved during a dive afterwards, so
> having this is quite nice and allows one some prediction about the
> oncoming lifetime of his batteries.

I'm absolutely no battery expert, but I think battery voltage fluctuations are
perfectly normal depending on the load, temperature, etc. So I'm not sure that
you can judge whether batteries are good or bad based on the voltage profile
during the dive.

Also a battery voltage discharge curve is certainly not linear, so judging when
a battery is close to empty isn't that easy I think. I guess the device (and
indirectly its manufacturer) is in a much better position to make such a decision.

For example the voltage alone can already depend on the type of battery:
alkaline (1.5V), NiMh (1.2V), Lithium (many possible voltages). There are also
devices that accept multiple types of batteries (Petrel, Frog), so the voltage
range isn't even fixed.

So these things may be more complex then they look.

Jef