dive computer nicknames

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Dec 15 21:32:48 PST 2012

Jan Schubert <Jan.Schubert at GMX.li> writes:

> On 12/15/12 22:05, Jan Schubert wrote:
>> On 12/14/12 08:42, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>> I just pushed a fun change to master:
>>>
>>>     Add the ability to set a nickname for a dive computer
>> Minor issue, Steps to reproduce:
>
> Sorry, have to think about it again und discuss it with Dirk. There is
> no nickname set when importing from JDiveLog and when not overriding the
> existing profiles there is of course no nickname defined for these
> profiles. Did some documentation in #42, lets switch the discussion if
> there is something to do to there.
>
> Conclusion: This is not a bug!

Well, that's debatable. I actually though about this when implementing
it and there are two possible ways to think about nicknames...

a) we ONLY assign them when downloading from a dive computer - and we
never change existing dives. Clear semantic, clear logic, easy. So
that's what I did.
b) we ask to assign one whenever we encounter a new computer, regardless
where we get it from (so when downloading, when importing or when
opening existing files). And then apply this every time a dive profile
from that computer is displayed. There is one issue with that. For most
of your old dives (and possibly for those imported from other dive log
programs) there won't be a divecomputer entry (as that is a recent
addition to our file format) or there will be a generic one (as we don't
have a deviceid). So we will either not name those or name them all the
same, even if they come from different computers.

I guess a better solution might be to allow the user to mark a group of
dives and then assign a dive computer (drop down? with ability to add
another one?) to those dives that have only one divecomputer assigned
and that one has no deviceid...

Would that make sense?