Strange duplication of dives

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Dec 16 09:10:13 PST 2012

David Tillotson <david at acmelabs.co.uk> writes:

> [Oops - wrong file attached! Compressed one added]
>
> I'm a fairly new diver and have been using Subsurface as my primary log
> tool for a while now (ever since I found out about it on G+). I have
> been tracking master on a regular basis, and every new feature just
> makes a great tool better!

Just as a gentle reminder... using master on your "real" dive file is
not always a good idea. Things may be unstable, file formats may change
(for example, the deco / ndl handling code added a TON of events to your
dives for a couple of weeks before it got rewritten and added the data
to the samples).

There are two ways to play this:
a) use the released version on your real dives and play with master to
see what we are working on (and to help testing / writing / documenting
the code).
b) make versioned backups of your dive file. The nice thing is that the
dive files are plain text, so git is a very useful backup tool. Simply
commit the changes adter every download. Then it's easy to go back if
things change or break and re-download the dives. And you can use git
diff to manually recover things like notes, locations and other data you
have manually added after a download.

b) is obviously what Linus and I do :-)

> I just found an odd new bug (or maybe a feature ;) when downloading
> today's dive on a newly built version. I use a Reefnet Sensus Pro to
> track my dives, which doesn't seem to allow me to delete dives, so I
> rely on the drop-duplicate code. Today, I found that it was adding the
> dupes, but putting them 1 minute earlier, and often treating them as
> separate trips. I have attached my file, complete with the
> manufacture test dives and some odd log entries due to leaving my
> Sensus on the balcony in Mexico (I don't think I would be here with
> real dives like that!).

Uhh. That's annoying. You can obviously delete all these dupes, but
still, if they come back that could turn into a real pain.