Strange duplication of dives

David Tillotson david at acmelabs.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 09:31:54 PST 2012

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 07:10:13 -1000 (HST)
Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Just as a gentle reminder... using master on your "real" dive file is
> not always a good idea.
[snip]

> There are two ways to play this:
> a) use the released version on your real dives and play with master to
> see what we are working on (and to help testing / writing /
> documenting the code).
> b) make versioned backups of your dive file. The nice thing is
> that the dive files are plain text, so git is a very useful backup
> tool. Simply commit the changes adter every download. Then it's easy
> to go back if things change or break and re-download the dives. And
> you can use git diff to manually recover things like notes, locations
> and other data you have manually added after a download.

I tend to do a combination of a & b - I keep a local backup every time,
but once I am happy with what the master version is doing, I stick with
that. So far only had to backtrack once :)

> > I just found an odd new bug (or maybe a feature ;) when downloading
> > today's dive on a newly built version. I use a Reefnet Sensus Pro to
> > track my dives, which doesn't seem to allow me to delete dives, so I
> > rely on the drop-duplicate code. Today, I found that it was adding
> > the dupes, but putting them 1 minute earlier, and often treating
> > them as separate trips. I have attached my file, complete with the
> > manufacture test dives and some odd log entries due to leaving my
> > Sensus on the balcony in Mexico (I don't think I would be here with
> > real dives like that!).
>
> Uhh. That's annoying. You can obviously delete all these dupes, but
> still, if they come back that could turn into a real pain.

It is really just an annoyance, and I would have just deleted them were
it not for the trip ID oddity.

--
David Tillotson