"Select Events..." versus "Heading: X°"

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sun Dec 30 11:15:23 PST 2012

On 12/30/2012 06:03 PM, Jan Schubert wrote:
> Lutz, a little bit off topic, but is there a screenshot available for
> the issue you described?

That's a strange wish, but have a look at attached screen shot.
(The window does not fit entirely on the screen, therefore only
a part was grabbed.)

> And further on: Would you be able to post a
> screenshot how the original Suunto software visualize this?

Ugh.. had to dig out the darn old Windows VM I needed to run SDM
in the past... *shudder*... but notice that all this is from SDM 3.1.
The VM was running WinXP, so younger SDM releases would not have run
on it, and I was certainly not inclined to waste money on a newer
M$ product...

See attached screenshot. Nothing fancy, just some non-representational
symbol and a "mouse-over pop up" saying "Heading...".

> And if you happen to have any deco dive on the unit (the two xml posted
> by you seems not to contain deco information) then I'd like to see a
> screenshot (from the Suunto Software) of one of them also.

I do have some decompression dives logged, see third screen shot -
this is visualized just as bad/boring as the heading stuff.

> I'm still
> looking for deco profile visualizing for non Bühlmann models - no lets
> be more clear: for models not based on fixed deco steps like the most
> implementaions of Bühlmann.

It might be that newer SDM releases (which also happen to contain some
dive planning software) are able to do more fancy visualization.

I guess a "ceiling depth as inverse mountain color overlay chart" would be
an obvious choice for visualization, I think such was already suggested.

I really like that the Suunto DC is not fixed to certain steps, while
diving, you can actually see your max. ceiling depth move by the centimeter.
It also does _not_ enforce these good-for-nothing "safety stops",
which are an abomination of misnamed decompression stops, anyway, and I have
experienced other divers computers to actually require them first
to decompress at -3m, then descend to -5m for "doing their safety stop",
because otherwise the DC would have entered the "you are dead, now,
thus I do not need to continue work"-mode for days.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg