"Select Events..." versus "Heading: X°"

Jan Schubert Jan.Schubert at GMX.li
Sun Dec 30 13:37:06 PST 2012

On 12/30/12 20:15, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> On 12/30/2012 06:03 PM, Jan Schubert wrote:
>> Lutz, a little bit off topic, but is there a screenshot available for
>> the issue you described?
>
> That's a strange wish, but have a look at attached screen shot.
> (The window does not fit entirely on the screen, therefore only
> a part was grabbed.)

:-)
Sorry, was thinking more about tons of events overlapping the graph in
subsurface (as we have seen with beta version of ldc before).

>> And further on: Would you be able to post a
>> screenshot how the original Suunto software visualize this?
>
> Ugh.. had to dig out the darn old Windows VM I needed to run SDM
> in the past... *shudder*... but notice that all this is from SDM 3.1.
> The VM was running WinXP, so younger SDM releases would not have run
> on it, and I was certainly not inclined to waste money on a newer
> M$ product...
>
> See attached screenshot. Nothing fancy, just some non-representational
> symbol and a "mouse-over pop up" saying "Heading...".

OK, seems screenshot 2 and 3 gets mixed up (at least in my mail client).
Anyway, they use some overlay at mouse position!? Then this could be
visualized similar to the partial pressure data in subsurface?

>> And if you happen to have any deco dive on the unit (the two xml posted
>> by you seems not to contain deco information) then I'd like to see a
>> screenshot (from the Suunto Software) of one of them also.
>
> I do have some decompression dives logged, see third screen shot -
> this is visualized just as bad/boring as the heading stuff.

Thx, no deco ceiling as I've also not seen in JDivelog and Co. (just
deco start, end and violations if available).

>> I'm still
>> looking for deco profile visualizing for non Bühlmann models - no lets
>> be more clear: for models not based on fixed deco steps like the most
>> implementaions of Bühlmann.
>
> It might be that newer SDM releases (which also happen to contain some
> dive planning software) are able to do more fancy visualization.
>
> I guess a "ceiling depth as inverse mountain color overlay chart"
> would be
> an obvious choice for visualization, I think such was already suggested.

Yes, and its already there in subsurface for some time now - but not for
Suunto models. Thats way I was asking. I doubt that the Suunto protocol
is giving us this floating deco in the samples so it would need some
magic to show the ceiling - at least a correct one. But it might be
fairly easy to implement some progression between deco start and end
which might come quite near. And if there are gas switches there might
be even be more estimations available (assuming the switch is done near
the current ceiling depth).

If you or someone else is ever happen to see such profile visualization
by Suunto Software or somewhere else please let me/us know.

> I really like that the Suunto DC is not fixed to certain steps, while
> diving, you can actually see your max. ceiling depth move by the
> centimeter.
> It also does _not_ enforce these good-for-nothing "safety stops",
> which are an abomination of misnamed decompression stops, anyway, and
> I have
> experienced other divers computers to actually require them first
> to decompress at -3m, then descend to -5m for "doing their safety stop",
> because otherwise the DC would have entered the "you are dead, now,
> thus I do not need to continue work"-mode for days.

:-)

Thx,
Jan