pkg-config libdivecomputer / subsurface makefile / confusion

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Jul 10 12:34:36 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Jef Driesen <jefdriesen at telenet.be> wrote:

> The problem is that the libdivecomputer pkg-config file used to contain:
>
> -I${includedir}/libdivecomputer
>
> and applications can then include the header files like this:
>
> #include <header.h>
>
> But I changed the pkg-config file some time ago to contain only:
>
> -I${includedir}
>
> and applications now have to include the header files like this:
>
> #include <libdivecomputer/header.h>
>
> I did this because I believe the second style is better. It does avoid
> trouble if an application uses two independent libraries that both have a
> header file installed with the same header.h name.

Ok. Using <libdivecomputer/*.h> sounds like a good thing, so I'll just
fix up subsurface to the new model. It only compiles against recent
versions of libdivecomputer anyway, so I don't think there's any worry
about having to try to be backwards compatible.

Pushed out. It works on Linux. Grischa - can you check whether the
current -git tree now compiles cleanly on OS X too?

               Linus