pkg-config libdivecomputer / subsurface makefile / confusion

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Jul 10 20:01:39 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Grischa Toedt <toedt at embl.de> wrote:

> "On Mac OS X (and probably the other BSD's too), the ioctl() syscall
> takes an 'unsigned long' integer as the request parameter.

And that's complete bullshit. The Open Group (aka "Unix") is pretty
damn clear. The request parameter is an "int", and OS X is buggy.

See for example

   http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/ioctl.html

Ugh. I remember the pain we had with OS X when doing git too.
Performance problems, non-standard crap. Most of it was Mach being
slow, but the ioctl buggery seems to come from the FreeBSD roots..

                 Linus