First time subsurace usage surprises

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Mon Jul 30 16:28:24 PDT 2012

Hi,

first of all thanks to all who contributed to subsurface - looks like I
can finally get rid of SDM for good!

Just a few observations from my first use that I stumbled upon:

subsurface does not seem to have a "default" file where it stores dive
data. I wonder how many people actually favour to manually open and save
their dive data file upon every start / ending of the program.
(I will certainly apply a local patch for me to use a default data file
name that is automatically opened / saved on start / exit.)

When saving data, subsurface did not suggest a certain file extension,
so I used none. Next time I started subsurface and tried to open the
file, I wondered why it wasn't displayed in the file browser. I actually
had to look into the source code to find that ".xml" was one of the few
opt-in filenames mandated by subsurface.

I miss a feature to change attributes of several dive logs at the same
time. E.g., assigning a certain tank size or such is tedious if you have
to do it individually for a hundred dives. I guess I'll rather
work-around using my favourite text editor to manipulate the .xml file
than clicking through all these dives... ;-)
The GUI looks a little like it could already support such a feature, as
one can select multiple dives from the list - but any changes applied in
the dialogs are applied to only one dive.

While reading data from my D9 I got some "failed to receive the answer"
messages. From looking at the mailing list archive, I understand this
phenomenon is not really understood as of today. I'll do my best trying
to figure out what it's about. My knowledge of serial communication
lines, though, is from the time when "kermit" was a new protocol, so I
wonder whether this knowledge is still applicable in the USB-3.0 era.
(And actually, USB drivers of all kinds are amongst the least stable
drivers I have ever experienced under any OS... *shudder*... ;-)

The print-feature looks really good - but I miss a feature to print a
much more simplistic one-line-per-dive list that I would like to carry
in my luggage (I don't want to waste precious air luggage weight by
printing a thick book of details on all my dives... :-)
But I guess such a list I can easily derive such a list from the .xml
file, using some more or less primitive script and a2ps / TeX or alike.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg