First time subsurace usage surprises

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Mon Jul 30 23:13:41 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-31 01:28, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> While reading data from my D9 I got some "failed to receive the
> answer" messages. From looking at the mailing list archive, I
> understand this phenomenon is not really understood as of today. I'll
> do my best trying to figure out what it's about. My knowledge of
> serial communication lines, though, is from the time when "kermit"
> was
> a new protocol, so I wonder whether this knowledge is still
> applicable
> in the USB-3.0 era.
> (And actually, USB drivers of all kinds are amongst the least stable
> drivers I have ever experienced under any OS... *shudder*... ;-)

If the download is successful, you can ignore these messages. Sometimes
the dive computer doesn't respond immediately, a corrupted packet is
received, etc. In that case the libdivecomputer library will simply
retry the failed packet. If it's just an occasional failure, then the
retrying will work fine and there is nothing to worry about. If you get
many failed packets, then libdivecomputer will eventually give up and
return an error.

Jef