First time subsurace usage surprises

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Tue Jul 31 15:39:21 PDT 2012

On 08/01/2012 12:11 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> We did that for 'git' (and it's superior to any config file I've seen
> elsewhere), and we could probably use that code, but it's not perfect
> either.

Sounds good to me.

> So the reason I don't much like that is that this is a file that
> people want to back up and keep track of across machines etc, so
> making it some random file in a hidden subdirectory in your home
> directory really smells like the wrong thing to do. *Much* too easy
> for it to get lost.

Good point, so maybe "~/subsurface/divedata.xml" would be a better
default name, or even "~/subsurface_dive_data.xml".

> The original Suunto cable
> was just a direct attach to the serial port, using DTR for the
> positive side. See for example
>
>     http://videodive.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/interface-suunto.pdf

Ouch, that's really weird. I cannot belive Suunto's engineers would
bet on some current to be drawn out of a DTR signal pin... could
be driven by CMOS tri-state gate, after all.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg