Suunto SDM import ignores dive notes

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat May 12 12:40:01 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Linus Torvalds

> That gets your SAC rate into sane territory, so I committed the fix
> for that. It still doesn't match what SDM has calculated for you, but
> that SDM calculation looks actively incorrect unless I'm missing
> something.

Oh, the Suunto SAC values in the XML files are the momentary air use
values, not the overall SAC rate for the dive. So never mind. I think
we're on the same page.

And I added parsing for a few more things, so now it converts weight
information, visibility and boat name into the subsurface info.

Weight information is just total weight (unspecified of what kind),
and the visibility and boat name just go at the end of the notes, like
the weather info. I personally prefer more of a free-form model for
that kind of "random information", although clearly most other dive
manager software tends to think you need to have check boxes or
specialized entry forms for them. So subsurface doesn't really have
specialized fields for stuff like that, which is why they just get
converted into notes.

Afaik, subsurface now converts all the relevant information from the
two dives you sent me, although there are tons of stuff that it drops
as "I don't care". Some of it is literally just SDM garbage (like the
*calculated* SAC-rates, that are much better just staying calculated
rather than expressly saved), some of it is "real information" that I
don't think the dive log software should bother with (iow, we don't
bother saving your dive computer ID etc).

                 Linus