autocomplete list behavouir

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 02:14:51 PDT 2012

On 2 October 2012 06:23, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>
>> i've noticed that when doing a fresh start like:
>> ./subsurface ./dives/*
>>
>> only some of the locations enter the auto-complete list (on my end it
>> was 9-22 with missing 15). i'm not sure why this is happening, but
>> there could be some logic of which i'm not aware of as i haven't
>> checked this much.
>
> So the logic /should/ be that there is a base set of "typical" tanks and all tanks from the dive file should be added. If that's not what is happening we should investigate.

i have only tested the "location" property. the above scenario applies
when importing "./dives/*" - not all locations are added to the
autocomplete list.

>> also perhaps when the user closes a file we could clear the
>> auto-complete list i.e. make it local for a file until "close" or
>> "new" are called.
>
> Why would we do that? What is the disadvantage of having tanks that the user clearly has used at some point still available in the list?

this moves more towards user preferences i think (e.g. "clear
autocomplete lists on file close").
i'm not sure if there is a limit for the autocomplete entries, but if
there ware 100 entries for one file then for the new file user may
want those cleared (and perhaps some users will want the opposite).
this mostly concerns values that will change more often.

whatever you think is best here.

lubomir