autocomplete list behavouir

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 2 06:35:59 PDT 2012

On Oct 2, 2012, at 2:14 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:

> On 2 October 2012 06:23, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 1, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>>
>>> i've noticed that when doing a fresh start like:
>>> ./subsurface ./dives/*
>>>
>>> only some of the locations enter the auto-complete list (on my end it
>>> was 9-22 with missing 15). i'm not sure why this is happening, but
>>> there could be some logic of which i'm not aware of as i haven't
>>> checked this much.
>>
>> So the logic /should/ be that there is a base set of "typical" tanks and all tanks from the dive file should be added. If that's not what is happening we should investigate.
>
> i have only tested the "location" property. the above scenario applies
> when importing "./dives/*" - not all locations are added to the
> autocomplete list.

Ahh, missed the fact that you were talking about locations. Ok, now I have something to test.

>>> also perhaps when the user closes a file we could clear the
>>> auto-complete list i.e. make it local for a file until "close" or
>>> "new" are called.
>>
>> Why would we do that? What is the disadvantage of having tanks that the user clearly has used at some point still available in the list?
>>

> this moves more towards user preferences i think (e.g. "clear
> autocomplete lists on file close").
> i'm not sure if there is a limit for the autocomplete entries, but if
> there ware 100 entries for one file then for the new file user may
> want those cleared (and perhaps some users will want the opposite).
> this mostly concerns values that will change more often.
>
> whatever you think is best here.

I still think that  a lot of people will go back to the same places over
and over again... I sure do - but then I may not be typical. My guess
is that anyone who does local diving or has a favorite vacation spot
will have a rather small set of locations repeat. And very few people
will go to hundreds of different dive sites (but again, that could be
wrong).

Is there anyone with a really strong preference and a good argument
one way or another?