autocomplete list behavouir

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 2 07:25:48 PDT 2012

On Oct 2, 2012, at 6:50 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:

> Den 02.10.12 15:35, skrev Dirk Hohndel:
>> I still think that  a lot of people will go back to the same places over
>> and over again... I sure do - but then I may not be typical. My guess
>> is that anyone who does local diving or has a favorite vacation spot
>> will have a rather small set of locations repeat. And very few people
>> will go to hundreds of different dive sites (but again, that could be
>> wrong).
>>
>> Is there anyone with a really strong preference and a good argument
>> one way or another?
>
> I usually dive a lot of the same dive sites, just like you.  But we're still just two out of a bazillion divers...
>
> Anyway, if we choose one or the other, I hope we'll have a way of maintaining dive sites in the future.  This way we can add GPS coordinates, descriptions, dive maps...  And in that case, I would at least want to have autocomplete on those.

Yes - one of my post-2.0 ideas is to create a little web service with companion apps on iPhone and Android.
Basically what this would do is this: you are at a dive site, you start your little app. It acquires the GPS coordinates, you can name the location / dive site, and then it pushes that tuple to the web server with your ID (just some numeric ID that you get when registering with the service).
Then when you are back at home or at the hotel and start subsurface it connects to the same server and offers you the locations that you saved that way… there could even be some time based matching of dive and location acquisition time (with some fuzz factors based on the fact that you likely did this a few minutes before or after actually diving :-)

Does this sound useful?