autocomplete list behavouir

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 2 08:53:02 PDT 2012

On Oct 2, 2012, at 8:43 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:

>>> The server should be able to run anywhere no?
>>> As in, you may have yours, someone else their but of course, up to us to
>>> provide a 'public'/main one.
>>> So no need for admin right at first I'd think :)
>>
>> How long do you think it would take you to throw together a quick first implementation?
>
> Actually not so long, especially since it won't store so many
> information:
> - Date
> - Time

I wouldn't even transfer that in a first implementation (or at least make it optional). As first approximation you can use the time the client connects, right?

> - GPS coordinate
> - Name of the dive/location
> - User/pass
> We can always expand after that.

Again, I don't think we need a password, either. This is not exactly super secret stuff… just a numeric userID so every user can get their OWN locations back.

> We could make a very raw release with:
> - Create account on the website (local user ? openid ? browserid ?)
>   - Probably local user first but it would be nice to support the other
> afterward
> - Visualize your dives as simple list
> - Send your dives to the server
> - Retrieve your dives from the server (json or xml as we prefer)

You are thinking version 3.0. I'm thinking MUCH simpler

- URL to request unique ID (let's make them 64bits so we don't run out so quickly)

- second URL where you deliver the data simply with a structured request - http://subsurface.hohndel.org/divesites.html?lat=xxx.xxxx&long=yyy.yyyy&site=URL-encoded-location

- third URL where you can pick up the data from (just some JSON - maybe you include a data range in the URL to make it easier to pick relevant ones)

> That I can hack in a few hours. What will take longer is using an api to
> display the dives onto a map. I don't know the OpenStreetMap API, but we
> can keep this for a release 0.2.0 I think.

Definitely for a later release.

I can spin this on for a while… have the Subsurface companion app be able to display your dive log on your phone (again, synced via the server), including the map display.

Yadayadayada ;-)

>> I just asked on G+ to see if there is any Android app developer out
>> there who could help put a POC together…
>
> Nice :)
> One thing I am thinking of, the app should be able to work w/o internet.
> As in, I'm on the boat, I open my phone, save the location which is only
> sync to the server if/when I have internet (otherwise, just store it
> locally).

Nice. Definitely an oversight on my part.

> I guess it's a given but I am one of the few with a smartphone and no
> internet on it :-)

Actually, this will apply to a lot of people who travel and don't want to incur roaming charges…