autocomplete list behavouir

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 2 09:42:22 PDT 2012

Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr> writes:

> On Tue, 2012-10-02 at 08:53 -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>
>> You are thinking version 3.0. I'm thinking MUCH simpler
>>
>> - URL to request unique ID (let's make them 64bits so we don't run out
>> so quickly)
>>
>> - second URL where you deliver the data simply with a structured
>> request -
>> http://subsurface.hohndel.org/divesites.html?lat=xxx.xxxx&long=yyy.yyyy&site=URL-encoded-location
>>
>> - third URL where you can pick up the data from (just some JSON -
>> maybe you include a data range in the URL to make it easier to pick
>> relevant ones)
>
> Would something like this follow your idea ?
> https://gist.github.com/3820711
>
> This is quick and dirty, I don't make use of the templates and the DB
> doesn't exist yet but that can be rather quickly fixed.
>
> I do think that the date and time could be sent by the phone (although
> we can make the time optional).
>
> If this follows your idea I'll expand on this :)

Yes, this very much follows my idea :-)

One request:

Call it Subsurface Companion or something like that (and capitalize
Subsurface where you use the name). SubWeb sounds odd to me :-/

Also, I assume that normal users would never use URLs 2 and 3, so I
don't think we even need to offer them in the web interface, do we?

URL 2 would be used by the phone app
URL 3 would be used by subsurface itself to get the dives / locations

Right?