autocomplete list behavouir

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 10:58:23 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2012, at 2:14 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:

>>> So the logic /should/ be that there is a base set of "typical" tanks and all tanks from the dive file should be added. If that's not what is happening we should investigate.
>>
>> i have only tested the "location" property. the above scenario applies
>> when importing "./dives/*" - not all locations are added to the
>> autocomplete list.
>
> Ahh, missed the fact that you were talking about locations. Ok, now I have something to test.

>>> Why would we do that? What is the disadvantage of having tanks that the user clearly has used at some point still available in the list?
>>>

>> this moves more towards user preferences i think (e.g. "clear
>> autocomplete lists on file close").
>> i'm not sure if there is a limit for the autocomplete entries, but if
>> there ware 100 entries for one file then for the new file user may
>> want those cleared (and perhaps some users will want the opposite).
>> this mostly concerns values that will change more often.
>>
>> whatever you think is best here.
>
> I still think that  a lot of people will go back to the same places over
> and over again... I sure do - but then I may not be typical. My guess
> is that anyone who does local diving or has a favorite vacation spot
> will have a rather small set of locations repeat. And very few people
> will go to hundreds of different dive sites (but again, that could be
> wrong).
>
> Is there anyone with a really strong preference and a good argument
> one way or another?

$ grep location Miika.xml | sort -u | wc -l
111

That is still missing 50 to 150 other sites as I have a few trips that
only state the country and island, not the dive sites. The current
list has 28 repeated sites (78 unique ones) plus the few trips that
are missing the sites altogether (should double or triple the repeated
dive site count). So you are right, location wise there are people
doing quite different diving than you.

Anyway, I do not really care if this list is cleared on file close or
not. However, I think not clearing would be more useful as I'll
probably be first downloading my own logs and adding the locations..
then I'll open my wife's log and download her dives. And now it would
really be beneficial to have the latest locations autocompleted.

miika