Subsurface for Android

Aurélien PRALONG aurelien.pralong at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 01:51:25 PDT 2012

Hello all.

> One thing that I failed to think through (and this affects both the
> server and the client side) is that we are likely to run into situations
> where we don't have connectivity when the diver is out on a boat. In
> that case it would be great if the Android app could remember the data
> (and this could be several data sets - it's not unusual that you would
> go to three or four different dive sites before the boat gets back to
> shore and within reach of a network) and then send them off one by one
> once network connectivity is restored. But this of course means that we
> need to add a timestamp to each data set so it is easier to correlate
> them to the dive information on the dive computer.

OK, I'll add history via android DB, if network fails, and a button to
batch send positions. For URL, I'll use format :
http://host/api/dive/<loginID>/<lat>/<long>/2012-10-31/10:12:14/<location
name>, with GMT timezone.

> One other note - the files you sent me had no copyright and no license
> in them. I assume you intend this to be open source and will at some
> point make this available under a reasonable license of your choice and
> with your Copyright attached? The rest of Subsurface is under GPLv2, as
> is the POC server implementation that Pierre has contributed...

I'm fine with GPL V2. I'll include headers / license file in next release.

> So maybe we can get these parts to work together tomorrow and have
> something "testable" before the weekend?

Concerning modifications, i will try to make the updates today or tomorrow
evening (max. 10/05 1:00 AM GMT), so you can give good logs :). From this
update, as Pierre-Yves said, it would be great if we had a centralized Git
repository.

Aurélien