Subsurface for Android

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Wed Oct 3 08:31:47 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 08:18 -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr> writes:

> > Actually, I put a GPLv3+ on the webapp, I can change that to GPLv2+ if
> > we prefer.
>
> For an application like the web service provider I think there is
> nothing in GPL3 that I would object to, so pick whatever you are
> comfortable with.

For the shake of consistency, I'll switch to GPLv2.

> >> Pierre - I assume the changes I suggested to transfer the date/time
> >> would be easy enough to add on the server side. Should we just agree on
> >> a URL format like this:
> >>
> >> http://host/api/dive/<loginID>/<lat>/<long>/<UTC date>/<UTC time>/<location name>
> >
> > Updated and push in the git. You will have to regenerate the database
> > though.
>
> No problem as so far I have only done test connections (obviously) :-)

Well, with the changes I did this morning, you might be surprise if you
check the UI now ;-)

> > Just beware that only you and Linus can upload things in the db and not
> > anyone else.
>
> Well, since this proof of concept doesn't provide any authentication,
> anyone who can grab our login ids could upload entries... in a
> production version of this service we will need to add a bit more than
> that, I guess, but for now I'm perfectly happy with the much simpler
> approach that we have taken so far.

Well, actually the current version does not even go that far. Anyone can
send data to the db with any identifier (as long as it is not 'login').
The user id is quite meaningless at the moment and to have it meaning
full we need to make sure humans are requesting one, otherwise it is
pretty much the same as the current approach.

So to play with, you can set your login to 'Dirk' or 'Linus' or
'Aurelien' if you want, it will work just as good.

> I'm thinking subsurface-companion and subsurface-webservice as
> repository names - let me know if you want something else.

Which one would be which then?

I'll send you a ssh key.

Pierre