Subsurface for Android

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 3 08:38:00 PDT 2012

Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr> writes:

> On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 08:18 -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr> writes:
>
>> > Actually, I put a GPLv3+ on the webapp, I can change that to GPLv2+ if
>> > we prefer.
>>
>> For an application like the web service provider I think there is
>> nothing in GPL3 that I would object to, so pick whatever you are
>> comfortable with.
>
> For the shake of consistency, I'll switch to GPLv2.

ok.

>> > Updated and push in the git. You will have to regenerate the database
>> > though.
>>
>> No problem as so far I have only done test connections (obviously) :-)
>
> Well, with the changes I did this morning, you might be surprise if you
> check the UI now ;-)

Will do in a moment. I'm at work right now (time zones are a pain
sometimes).

>> > Just beware that only you and Linus can upload things in the db and not
>> > anyone else.
>>
>> Well, since this proof of concept doesn't provide any authentication,
>> anyone who can grab our login ids could upload entries... in a
>> production version of this service we will need to add a bit more than
>> that, I guess, but for now I'm perfectly happy with the much simpler
>> approach that we have taken so far.
>
> Well, actually the current version does not even go that far. Anyone can
> send data to the db with any identifier (as long as it is not 'login').
> The user id is quite meaningless at the moment and to have it meaning
> full we need to make sure humans are requesting one, otherwise it is
> pretty much the same as the current approach.
>
> So to play with, you can set your login to 'Dirk' or 'Linus' or
> 'Aurelien' if you want, it will work just as good.

Cool :-)

So basically any person reading this can fill up the hard drive of my
server once the URL is known. Oops.

>> I'm thinking subsurface-companion and subsurface-webservice as
>> repository names - let me know if you want something else.
>
> Which one would be which then?

Heh..., I thought that was obvious - the webservice is what you provide
(the python server responding to http requests). The companion app is
what runs on the phone.

Am I missing something?

> I'll send you a ssh key.

Thanks