Fwd: feedback on experience with OSX packaging

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Oct 5 12:56:23 PDT 2012

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <henrik at synth.no> writes:

> Den 05.10.12 16:51, skrev Jef Driesen:
>> On 2012-10-05 06:42, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>> My guess would be that the device name is wrong, but I'm on a plane and
>>> can't even Google for this. Jef - any suggestions (as this is clearly
>>> libdivecomputer territory)?
>>
>> The /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART device name indicates you have some
>> Silicon Labs CP210x based hardware. The official Suunto cable has an
>> FTDI usb-serial chip. So unless you have one of the third-party
>> cables, that device name is likely incorrect. You mention a Mares
>> Puck, and that one does indeed need the CP210x driver. So maybe that
>> device name comes from there?
>
> Yup, that's correct.  My official cable uses
> /dev/tty.usbserial-ST000001, while my Custom Idea cable uses
> /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART.

Ah! I bet that's it.

One of the things I had been playing with but then abandoned because it
was too close to the 2.0 release was to add code that would make the
device that is suggested by Subsurface be DC specific. What triggered
this for me is of course that all of these device names are silly and
wrong for the Uemis Zurich. It needs something like
"/var/run/<userid>/media/UEMISSDA" on Linux, "/Volumes/UEMISSDA" on Mac
and some random drive letter "E:" on Windows...

Of course of different dive computer cables require different device
names we may need to change the DC selector that we have today into
something more like "Suunto (Gecko, Vyper Family, etc) with Suunto
cable", "Suunto (Gecko, Vyper Family, etc) with Idea cable", ...

What a mess.