GTK and localization [Moved from the gtk-osx-users list]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Oct 11 14:31:48 PDT 2012

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> writes:

> Den 11.10.12 16:34, skrev Dirk Hohndel:
>> Henrik, can you test what I pushed a few minutes ago and see if that
>> works on your Mac with the Norwegian translations (you obviously need to
>> edit your .po file, first)
>
> Sure, it looks much better now.  There are still a couple of things that
> aren't translated in either language, at least on my Mac:
>
> * "n dives" in trip summary

That's one that I haven't tackled yet in the code

> * dates in trip summary

You mean they aren't localized at all (not even the month names)?

> * mouseover labels on events in the dive profile

With most dive computers they come from libdivecomputer - I was able to
translate the ones for my DC (the Uemis Zurich) as that is handled
internally in Subsurface.

Jef - are there translations available for libdivecomputer?

Worst case we could extract the strings ourselves and add them to our
translations, but that would be a bit messy.

> * Services/Hide/Hide Others/Quit in the application menu

Yes, I finally understand that that's what you were asking about on the
gtk-osx-users mailing list. No idea how to fix that.

> Also, the "Help" menu usually contains a search field.  After
> translation, it's empty.

Can you explain more? what is there normally? What is there now?

> Another thing: should we standardize on two-part language identifiers?
> If so, nl.po should be nl_NL.po.

Yes, I'll fix that.