Call for volunteers [was: Re: Localization]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Oct 11 14:45:53 PDT 2012

"Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 11 October 2012 17:20, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>> Having talked to a couple of people who run translations for other
>> projects, I learned that it is much easier to get corrections once you
>> have "first attempts" than to get people to do the first stab.
>>
>> So please feel free to do languages you have some experience with, even
>> if you aren't a native speaker.
>
> here is the bulgarian translation. i "singed-off" in the file itself,
> not sure where if not a patch.

You can just add the Signed-Off-By: line to the email to which you
attach the file. But I took your Signed-Off-By from the file, so this
worked.

> some of the exact translations of terminology such as SAC (ППК) might
> need a revision by an expert.

Same is true for German :-)

> also some of the things ended up being up 2-3 times longer (similar to
> german), so i'm not sure how this is going to reflect on the UI.

Yes, that is overall an issue that I see.

>> But one thing I especially look to you for is making sure that all this
>> works under Windows as well - especially given the encoding madness that
>> appears to be common there...
>
> i can't build due to the new changes (.po/.mo files as such).
> must spend some time figuring out where to download these gettext
> tools and how to integrate them with the native build.
> if you can cross-build for windows i could take a look.

I can build things, I worry about packaging everything
successfully. I'll give it a try.