Call for volunteers [was: Re: Localization]

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 04:42:26 PDT 2012

On 12 October 2012 22:20, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> "Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> Wow this is ugly. Have you done some searching what other localized gtk
> projects with Windows binaries do? I'm sure we are not the first ones to
> try this.

ok, so apparently there is "g_win32_getlocale", which retrieves the
current locale in the "en_US" form, so no need for a conversation
table of sorts.
this can now be added in "windows.c", as a call in main for the env.
variables to be set.

however since we are not using a CMD launcher for example that sets
the env variable and can be edited by the user,
this hardcodes a translation based on a locale. how is the windows
user going to switch translations?
where is the menu entry that allows the user to pick a translation?

i think that using a (global?) environment variable to control how a
peace of software is translated is quite limiting.
some osx user don't like entering stuff in terminals that much as
well, how are they going to switch languages?

lubomir