Call for volunteers [was: Re: Localization]

Mikko Rasa tdb at tdb.fi
Sat Oct 13 06:00:35 PDT 2012

On 13.10.2012 15:25, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> erm, i for instance am not a english native, yet prefer all my
> software to be in english, while keeping a non-english locale.
> looks like i have to use enviroment variables for subsurface to obey
> that...but wait subsurface on windows may overwrite my env. variable
> value by default, so i won't be able to do that...

Out of curiosity, what locale settings do you use?  LC_MESSAGES is the
one that controls the language used for messages, so I assume you have
that set to en_US or en_GB.  If other programs respect that but
subsurface doesn't, then we're doing something wrong.

I use en_US.utf8 for most categories, but fi_FI.utf8 for LC_TIME and C
for LC_COLLATE.

Windows also offers several categories for localization settings, though
I'm not certain which one controls (or is supposed to control) the language.

> here an example of a small defragment utility that can switch
> languages dynamically and store the user setting:
> http://db.tt/GUu9axn8
> obviously a vastly superior method...and yet another minus for
> gettext() from my perspective. :-(

The POSIX locale system is pretty broken, I can agree to that.  It
allows you to do some things that don't make sense (ISO-8859-1 date
strings in an otherwise UTF-8 system?) and doesn't allow you to do some
things that make sense (why can't I define a custom date format as an
strftime string?).  It's also generally impossible to change the locale
settings of an existing session, so you'll have to restart your session
if you change anything.

--
Mikko