windows issues with gettext

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:35:18 PDT 2012

here is the list of problems of subsurface on windows.
there was a little bit of discussion in the other thread but nothing
very constructive, so lets bring these again.
ideas are welcome...

-------
1) i can't seem to get the menus translated on win32:

gettext is using env. variables (only?) so we have to take that into
consideration.

set LC_ALL=xx_XX.UTF-8  -> no effect
set LANG=xx_XX.UTF-8  -> no effect
set LANGUAGE=xx_XX.UTF-8  -> translates everything but the menus
trying different translations -> no effect

what should be done here to make the menus work?

-------
2) actually, how _are we_ going to translate subsurface on windows?
currently subsurface is not translated on windows...it just has some
translations for a posix library, which can be bundled, but are not
active due to missing env. variables.

a proposal
- if the required env.variables are not available we set them by
default to the system locale on runtime.
to do that we use glib's g_win32_getlocale() which provides a method
to translate the win32 locales into posix locales.
- we instruct the user that he/she can set the subsurface language by
adding / modifying the required env. variables.

this is a bit cumbersome solution, considering most software i've seen
can switch languages by a menu click.
alternative ideas are welcome.

------
3) i'm seeing a gettext bug on windows that seems to affect all
translations. title of the "add dive" dialog has invalid UTF-8
characters.
http://i50.tinypic.com/fc8xhh.png

i'm having some troubles switching my locale on the linux distros i
have. so i can't confirm the same there.
"Locale not supported by C library."

------

lubomir