windows issues with gettext

Dirk Hohndel dirk at
Mon Oct 15 13:46:16 PDT 2012

"Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at> writes:

> On 15 October 2012 23:25, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at> wrote:
>> "Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at> writes:
>>>>> what should be done here to make the menus work?
>>>> Is that all menue entries or just some? Is that with the latest master?
>>>> And current .mo files? The limited testing that I did on Win7 32bit
>>>> seemed to work - but I'm not 100% sure if I checked the menues or just
>>>> the program itself...
>>> it looks like all menu entries are affected, but not the dialogs such
>>> as "about", "open" and others.
>> Just to understand, this is with the environment variable
>> LANGUAGE="bg_BG.UTF-8" set prior to starting subsurface?
> the menu problem affects all bundled languages not only bg_BG.
> yes from my tests, on windows 7 nothing else works except LANGUAGE=...
> in terms of setting env. variables.

Doing some reading on this it seems that Windows gets easily confused
about the values in the environment - I found a number of threads where
people report that getenv and GetEnvironmentVariablesW return different
results... I wonder if this is what is biting us.

I'd love to see what happens if you explicitly set the environment
variables from within subsurface using SetEnvironmentVariable

>>>>> i'm having some troubles switching my locale on the linux distros i
>>>>> have. so i can't confirm the same there.
>>>>> "Locale not supported by C library."
>>>> Which locale are you trying? I assume this is Ubuntu?
>>> i've tried most locales with LANG and LANGUAGE (LC_ALL is locked).
>>> i think that i actually have to compile the .mo files for linux first!
>> Yes, you need .mo files. But running make on Linux should do that for
>> you (in the ./locale folder).
>> For me LANG="de_DE.UTF-8" works fine...
> i've compiled the .mo files on both debian and ubuntu, but still get
> no translations.
> ubuntu still reports "Locale not supported by C library." regardless
> of settings.
> in terms of settings, i've tried LANG=, LANGUAGE=, and LC_ALL= for
> both distros with no results for various of the bundled translations.
> perhaps another debian-like OS user can confirm - not sure whats going on.
> my default locale on both distros is en_US.UTF-8

That seems very strange. On Fedora I can literally simply say

export LANG

and I get a happily localized app


More information about the subsurface mailing list