windows issues with gettext

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at
Mon Oct 15 21:30:20 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at> wrote:
> On 15 October 2012 23:25, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at> wrote:
>> "Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at> writes:
>>>>> what should be done here to make the menus work?
>>>> Is that all menue entries or just some? Is that with the latest master?
>>>> And current .mo files? The limited testing that I did on Win7 32bit
>>>> seemed to work - but I'm not 100% sure if I checked the menues or just
>>>> the program itself...
>>> it looks like all menu entries are affected, but not the dialogs such
>>> as "about", "open" and others.
>> Just to understand, this is with the environment variable
>> LANGUAGE="bg_BG.UTF-8" set prior to starting subsurface?
> the menu problem affects all bundled languages not only bg_BG.
> yes from my tests, on windows 7 nothing else works except LANGUAGE=...
> in terms of setting env. variables.
>>>>> ------
>>>>> 3) i'm seeing a gettext bug on windows that seems to affect all
>>>>> translations. title of the "add dive" dialog has invalid UTF-8
>>>>> characters.
>>>> Is this a font problem? I.e., which character is supposed to be there in
>>>> your locale and does that glyph exist in the font that you are using?
>>> seems that the strings are truncated for all languages in the dialog:
>>> fr -> Plo
>>> de -> Tau
>>> bg -> It shows some odd characters + the pango message (which is also
>>> due to truncation)
>>> font is the default "Sans" on win32.
>> Ahh, this is not a font problem - the code used there appears buggy.
>> It modifies memory that it shouldn't modify. I'll push out a fix in a
>> moment.
>>>>> i'm having some troubles switching my locale on the linux distros i
>>>>> have. so i can't confirm the same there.
>>>>> "Locale not supported by C library."
>>>> Which locale are you trying? I assume this is Ubuntu?
>>> i've tried most locales with LANG and LANGUAGE (LC_ALL is locked).
>>> i think that i actually have to compile the .mo files for linux first!
>> Yes, you need .mo files. But running make on Linux should do that for
>> you (in the ./locale folder).
>> For me LANG="de_DE.UTF-8" works fine...
> i've compiled the .mo files on both debian and ubuntu, but still get
> no translations.
> ubuntu still reports "Locale not supported by C library." regardless
> of settings.
> in terms of settings, i've tried LANG=, LANGUAGE=, and LC_ALL= for
> both distros with no results for various of the bundled translations.
> perhaps another debian-like OS user can confirm - not sure whats going on.
> my default locale on both distros is en_US.UTF-8

I took the easy way out on Ubuntu and created a deb package and
installed that. For some reason the locales relative to CWD/build dir
were not used but the system wide installation works fine for me.


More information about the subsurface mailing list